20 mars 2013

The Elvelyck's in American Culture

After almost 2 months in CA things are starting to land in the Elvelyck family. Our home is decorated, we are still waiting for my books to arrive in a couple of weeks.
I am of course amazed of all the large cultural differences that there are between Europe and the US, but also between CA and other states that I've visited.
I've started to see things in another light, things that were black and white for me before, and we are becoming more and more American...:) 

For example; Denzel had his first baseball training this past Saturday! So much fun, that had not happened in Sweden...
And another; We were looking to buy a grill at a sale the other week. Looking for a good enough "Swedish size" grill, Swede like I am. The problem is that it DOESN'T EXIST! 
American think; why make the grill half the size when we can make it so much bigger for just another $20? Then we can grill more burgers at the same time! So the grill is twice as large for half the amount of money we would have paid in Sweden :). Just gotta love it! 

Over all you could say that comfort is important here. If you are travelling, wear COMFORTABLE clothes! A Swede thinks; you are about to travel, clothe in STYLE :). So the American is comfortable in his sweatpants on the plane while the Swede (me!) is sweating in their skinny jeans. We'll see when I will land in the best of two worlds ;).
Why buy one liter milk when I can buy one gallon (3.8 liters)? Then you don't have to go to the store as often...
Etc...
The glas is more often half full here than at home in Sweden... 

We just have to try to avoid what's destructive in the comfortable life style; two liters of coke costs just $1... It's cheaper to buy fast food than make a healthy meal at home etc...

Even the bigger questions like politics, history, patriotism and a few strange laws become less strange after speaking to an American in his every day life. A greater understanding and respect is born in me and I become less black and white. Very interesting! 
Still, I would like to see the politicians focus more on public transportation and national modern railroads and trains. Everyone would win a lot on that... As for now, public transportation has low status in the country and everyone is forced to have two cars... That would rarely happen in Sweden, where you can get almost anywhere all the time in GOOD public transportations.

The weather is getting warmer and warmer, we've had over 70 degrees for a few days now. Lovely! We'll see if I think it's as lovely when it's over 100 degrees in the summer ;). (I promise that I won't complain though Sweden!) 

Well, I just wanted to give a short update from this beautiful land. Say what you want about the American people, but they whine very little, work very hard, see very few problems, and many opportunities. I love them!

Inga kommentarer: