13 mars 2013

A Miserable City?

The American magazine Forbes lists 10 of the most miserable cities to live in every year in the US. I stumbled over this info via the Swedish Newspapers website svd.se two weeks ago and to my surprise I discovered that Modesto, the city I live in, is ranked no 5, not a real honorable number.
Economists and scientists are looking at things like unemployment, foreclosures, housing market, taxes and criminal activity. The worst is Michigan after this years crisis in the car industry. But up there amongst large cities like Detroit and Chicago IL is "little" Modesto as well.

150 years ago, Modesto was a 'modest' place where gold miners would stop to rest, have a drink in the little saloon and maybe get lucky with a prostitute. If you look at a map, Modesto is located right between the bigger cities Fresno and Sacramento. A perfect place to rest tired gold-miner-legs. The city has grown steadily and is the home of over 200,000 people today. 

Modesto is today known for its agriculture and produce. The largest almond-plantation in the US (maybe in the world?) is located here. It's stunningly beautiful now, you drive mile after mile passing plantations with perfectly planted almond trees in bloom.
Stephanie, my wife, said the other day that if we would to get married again we would do it in an ally of old, crooked blooming almond trees. 
There are even lots of cows and milk farms. That makes me happy! It reminds me of the little place I come from, Järsnäs, where I grew up, but this is a lot bigger. It smells like cow sometimes, and I enjoy it ;). The milk is fresh and tastes great; a difference from other places in the US where the milk sometimes has a weird taste...
At the same time as the country side is right in the outskirts of the city, you have att the necessities inside the city; including a large Barnes and Noble :).

So, back to Forbes and the 5th most miserable city in the US... 

How would you react? A terrible place to live at and have my kids grow up? A constant fear of criminal activity and misery? A high price to pay? Well, maybe...
Let me tell you how I think: 

THANK YOU GOD that you did not call me and my family to a place where everything works so well that there is nothing to improve or anyone to help! THANK YOU Forbes for confirming that we moved to the right place and that the calling will just root itself even more in our hearts! Imagine to be at a place where we in present time will see GOD change a city! There is no other belief in my heart than just that... 
So, Forbes, I am looking forward to see that list again in a few years; BBC, CNN, and NY Times: Get ready to visit Modesto CA, USA to do that documentary about how a city turned around; all because of God's grace and because people dared give themselves to it... 

Modesto will be known for one thing in the future; the city that sends out the most missionaries percentage wise than any other city in the world! 
Just wait and see...

Inga kommentarer: