21 maj 2013

To Love a City


What do you see when you look at your city? What di you feel? 
Four months ago I moved from one of the worlds most beautiful cities to... well; Modesto. No outer beauty, no "trade mark", nothing hip or cool at all actually. 
But, today I am in love with this place! I love Modesto!

As Christians we are not called to save our cities. Jesus did just that 2000 years ago. But, we are called to love our cities!

How so?
You can stop right away trying in your own strength, and instead connect to the love of God, that is already poured  into your heart through the Holy Spirit. (Rom 5:5) 
See the city through the eyes of God. See every person like He sees them. Then you will love, pray for and do everything you can to win your city with His love.

How long does it take to love a city? When can you love it? 
The answer is: right away! Because God has loved your city since the day it was born. It took me a week to start loving Modesto.

Jesus cried over cities when He saw them. Are you and I crying? Or are we speaking down our cities, are we speaking hatred and irritation over them?

Maybe you are thinking: But, what is there in my city to love, Daniel?
I know! And I will give you the answer:

People!

We are not looking at buildings or outer beauty; we are looking at the city like God sees it. A place with so many people!
So, it's time for you to open your heart for your city. Be proud of it! Own it! Be a part of it. 
Love it!

Cities I've lived in and that I love:
Huskvarna
Jönköping
Uppsala
Stockholm
Modesto

Cities I am dreaming about, have a relation to, love at a distance, and are longing to see changed:
Pittsburgh
New York
San Francisco
Beirut
New Delhi
Calcutta
Tokyo
Rome
Paris
Cairo
Istanbul
Washington DC
Boston
Karachi
.........?

Inga kommentarer: